Saturday, June 11, 2011

Scammers Abound for the Jobless

I've been unemployed for over a year and sadly while sending out resumes to the scarce jobs that are posted on job boards, I either get ignored or get "you are qualified, however you are not the most qualified" form email. Lately, I have received emails from some pranksters that reminded me of the Nigerian Scam emails, that are offering "potential jobs" that are so full of grammatical errors and red flags that one would have to be insane to go along with this scheme.


This following email I received from an Alex Davids (fake name) as was received from him:

Hello,

Am offering this position for the post of Personal assistant
and also entails construction and supervising manufacturer,So I will
give this a go .I'm looking for someone that can be trusted and
reliable, someone with good understanding and working skills. I am
Mr.Alex Davids 45 yrs of age, I'm a lawyer by profession and I have
been pretty successful in a handful of ventures I get involved in;
from the Bu tel Network in Canada and United State to various welfare
and community service programs. I most very often get my hands
occupied,so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can
monitor and keep me up to date with my activities.

This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is
basically about instructions and following them. My only fear is that
I may come at you impromptu u sometimes, so i need someone who can be
able to meet up with my irregular timings.

As my personal assistant, your activities among others will include:
*Create and modify documents using Microsoft Office
*Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring.
*Scheduling programs, flights and keeping me up to date with them.
*Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence while I'm away.
*Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
*Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities..
*Basic wage is $1,600 a month .

QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
*Good planning, communication and organization skills
*Must be honest, reliable & dependable
*Excellent verbal & written communication skills
*Must have strong problem solving skills
*Must be organized & extremely detail oriented
*Experience working with the Internet, email, MS Excel and MS Word
*A willingness to do whatever needs to be done is a must

NOTE: The above qualification requirements can also be learn if you
are willing to take up the challenges.
I'm sure you'll understand I tend to have a very busy schedule at
this point as I am presently in Ireland for a summit. I will be back
in Six Weeks time.
I think you're the right person for this post, Please note that
This position is not office based for now because of my frequent
travels and tight schedules. It's a part-time, work from home basis
and the flexibility means that there will be busier weeks than others.
So it's a little difficult judging the exact number of hours you'll be
doing per week. If you can manage your time properly, this job may
even give you some extra while you do something else on the side. As I
have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as
possible .I do have a pile up of work and a number of unattended
chores which you can immediately assist me with. I hope we can meet up
with the workload eventually. Permit me to use the coming week to test
your efficiency and diligence towards all this, also to work out your
time schedule and fit it to mine. I really need to find the perfect
person for this job and i am confident you can take up the
challenges.On the long run we should have a relatively sound working
relationship between us.

I'm online most of the time as I am hard of hearing so I prefer we
contact each other through E-mails but if there is need for me to
call, I will be glad to do that. I am glad you are willing to work
with me and i promise to be a good boss. I am also glad on the
commitment in working. I have been checking my files and what i would
want you to do for me is to run some errands out to some of the
Charity home which I do every month. The funds will be in form of
Certified Us Payment, it will be sent over to you from one of my
clients and i have some list to email you once you received the
funds.You will make some arrangements by buying some stuff for the
kids in the nearest store around you so you can mail them out. I will
get you more information on that.


PLEASE FILL THE APPLICATION FORM BELOW:
First Name :

Middle Name:

Last Name:

Full Street Address(not PO BOX) :

City:

State:

Zip Code:

Cell Phone Number:

Home Phone Number:

Email Address:

Once I have received your application form, I will get back to you
with the task for the week ahead. Please understand that you will also
be paid ($400 a week) as well as its important for me to make the
necessary steps before i get back from my business trip. I hope i am
clear with that?

NOTE: This position is a flexible part time job, you can be in any
location, doing all the activities and if there is any relocation you
will be notify.

POSITION/AVAILABILITY:
Position Applied For_________________
How often do you check your email:______________
Specify the hours that you will be available if my schedule doesn't
work with the hours i requested

Days/Hours You will be available:
Monday____
Tuesday____
Wednesday____
Thursday____
Friday____
Saturday____
Sunday____
Hours Available: from_______ to______
What date are you available to start work?________________

Please get back as soon as possible...
Mr .Alex Davids

Wow, sounds too good to be true right? Not really...So as you can see, lot's of red flags. I googled Butel Network and discovered this letter word for word on scam web sites. But who needed to go that far? The guy wanted to send a cashiers check for me to cash in order to purchase toys?! Ummmm...my ass may be dumb, but I aint no dumb ass. I'm not going to get ripped off paying the bank back however amount was sent to me and I run around town buying toys for tots. That western union scam is old news hun, I have been selling on ebay for several years and I know all about that stuff. What local charity home? Are you serious? Right...Ok, the guy is in Ireland and won't be back for 6 weeks and he's hard of hearing, yet he's in Ireland at a Summit. You can't hear it! Why are you there? Then, he's a lawyer, a successful lawyer at that, and he can't write a coherent sentence to save his life, almost like *gasp* English isn't his first language. This is as bad as Prince Abdullah who is looking for someone to help them get $500,000,000 to the US but they have to pay the minister a small fee, I mean I have to pay a small fee. I will get $10 million for helping...I digress... But, $1600 a month salary for part time? That's a fabulous salary, doubtful that the poor person that falls for this add will receive it, but if it were true, that's balling out of control, for part time. Also, explain why on this impromptu application, is it necessary to provide position title when that is already provided in the job description. He says it in the first line, rather clumsily, "Hello, am offering this position for the post of personal assistant." I don't get it. This is obviously an attempt to phish for information with that fake job application at the end. Considering that I would've contacted him, that's information that he would've had in the original email.

Let me get that information back to this guy so he can rip me off and take money out of my account! Lol!




No comments: